Saturday, January 8, 2011

Driving Miss Daisy


So the nameless guy helped me to get a Taxi since no one had shown up to get me. I got into the cab and it was a huge cab all to myself. My taxi drive looked just like a typical English taxi drive from the movies. I know I should not be comparing to the movies but other Europeans do it all the time. When they come to American they expect to drink out of red solo cups. ;)


Not the best pic, but I didn't want to be creepy with the camera.


He reminded me of Ian McKellen. If you do not know who that is look him up. See his picture? Yes, that was my taxi driver. I got in and he asked where I was heading to. I told him which hostel and he started driving. I mean I think it was driving. I just remember grabbing on to my seat and closing my eyes for most of the trip. He asked me a couple questions like what brought me to Manchester and those types and I don’t remember how I answered. I think I was too concerned about staying alive. I mean I like how he drove her got me where I was supposed to go but he drove like no one else was in the road. Three x NYC taxi drivers.


So I got to my hostel and paid him and entered it. It was SO nice. First off they had to buzz me in. That made me feel good already because this was my first time in a hostel and I was alone. I was not so sure what to even expect. I walked to the reception desk which was so clearing defined with “RECEPTION” in huge letters painted on it.


I told the lad my name and he checked me in. I signed up for their membership because I found that there are YHA hostels all of the country. It wasn't expensive anyways and I could use it then as well. After I got all checked in I found that I wouldn't be able to get to my room till 2pm. Luckily they had a place to put my luggage.


My bed. Kinda cute.


So i go my most important things out and put them in a messenger bag so I could tote them around the city. I got my computer out and got on the internet to email friends and family of my safe arrival to the city. Also to check my Facebook, listen people I won’t lie.


Bathroom that reminded me of the cruise.


I got a map to the city and asked where to top of my phone. I needed to top it off in order to get a call from Kara, who was another girl from UNCG arriving to a hotel somewhere downtown. It was time to explore the city. The first part by myself of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment